There are many debates about the proper way to build a valuable LinkedIn network, and one of the most ongoing topics I have seen discussed is the credibility of becoming a LinkedIn Open Networker (LION).
What is a LinkedIn Open Networker (LION)?
A LinkedIn Open Networker is someone who actively builds their LinkedIn network through connecting with people they do not know. Many LION’s use this strategy to quickly expand their professional network, and increase their rankings in LinkedIn search engine results. LION’s are often entrepreneurs, recruiters, self-promoters, and job seekers who receive a greater benefit than the average professional by being a part of a larger, broader network.
The Pros and Cons of Becoming A Linkedin LION – THE PROS
- As you cannot predict the future value of a LinkedIn connection, many LinkedIn connections provide potential for lucrative business opportunities.
- A larger network increases the chance to grow your business online and increases the chances you will be reached out to for jobs.
- Large amounts of LinkedIn connections improve LinkedIn search engine capabilities
- Exceedingly large networks increase the accessibility and visibility of your network to other professionals
The Pros and Cons of Becoming A LinkedIn Lion – THE CONS
- Without proper screening or selection, a large LinkedIn network can dilute the relevance of your network as a whole
- LinkedIn Open Networker’s are more subject to spam.
- Deciding to become a LinkedIn LION is always personal decision, and your personal networking goals should be thought about first and foremost. In addition, personalized invitations are also recommended when expanding your network as all LinkedIn profiles have real people behind them.
Don’t forget – showing professionalism and respect is a value that should be followed in all online or offline interactions, so make sure you are always being the best version of yourself.
If you have any other questions about becoming a Linkedin LION you can leave a comment below or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org!